To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The government of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador promised a new strategy after taking power in December 2018 but has struggled to tame the cartel violence – even during the coronavirus pandemic.The number of disappeared was revised after an exhaustive search for cases that were recorded with state prosecutors and local authorities, but which never made it into the national databases, authorities said.Most victims were disappeared amid an epidemic of violence after the so-called “war on drugs” began in late 2006, data showed. About 1,523 of the cases relate to a period between 1964 to 2005.Alejandro Encinas, Mexico’s deputy minister for human rights, said Mexico has since 2006 unearthed 3,978 clandestine graves, from which 6,625 bodies have been exhumed. Mexico on Monday raised the number of people listed officially as disappeared in the violence-torn country to 73,201, with most of them believed to be victims of brutal drug cartel warfare.The latest figures, revised from 61,000 in January, paint an ever-grimmer picture of the scale of bloodshed and suffering in Mexico, where a record 34,582 people were murdered last year.Mexico has been racked by violence for years as successive governments battled vicious drug cartels, often by taking out their leaders. That has resulted in a fragmentation of gangs and increasingly vicious internecine fighting. Topics : Almost 30% of the graves have been discovered during the administration of Lopez Obrador, who has promised to focus on the issue.Despite Monday’s jump in the total number of disappeared, Encinas said disappearances had declined sharply in the first six months of the year, falling 36.6% compared to the same period last year.But some of the decline may be due to under-reporting during the pandemic, he added.
Danish pension provider Velliv has reduced investment risk in the face of lower returns and higher volatility.The company – which rebranded from Nordea Liv & Pension Denmark at the start of this month – reported that investment returns for the first nine months of the year were lower than in the previous five years.Anders Stensbøl Christiansen, Velliv’s CIO, said such weaker results were to be expected from now on.“One reason is that we are approaching the end of a boom with increased turmoil in financial markets,” Stensbøl Christiansen said. “Because of this we have taken some of the risk out of our customer portfolio recently with a view to protecting customers’ pension savings.” However, Velliv said an analysis of returns from pension companies by ratings firm Morningstar showed that its nine-month return was the best among Denmark’s commercial pension providers.Customers with the pension product VækstPension Aktiv received the best return in the sector in 2018 to date, the firm said. A customer with a medium-risk profile and 15 years until pension age achieved a 4.1% return.Nordea Liv & Pension announced the rebrand in June, and will become 100% customer-owned in the next few years.In the past two years the business has de-coupled from Nordea, and is now owned ultimately by Nordea Liv & Pension’s customers through the Velliv Foreningen (association). In January the association increased its stake in what is now Velliv to 70%.