The London borough of Islington’s pension fund is overhauling its emerging and frontier market exposure while dropping its passive equity managers for the region.The changes come as the £1.1bn (€1.5bn) fund implements its amended strategic asset allocation (SAA), which will see it reduce exposure to emerging markets to 6%, down from its 7% target.In a tender notice, the council said the new actively managed mandates would be worth a combined £60m.The future manager will be expected to build up “significant” exposure to frontier markets. “At this stage,” the mandate adds, “applications will be accepted from managers that manage equity, bond, multi-asset or other mandates from these markets.”The pension fund said it would not consider standalone products exposed only to either frontier or emerging markets.Parties interested in the mandate – which could run for an initial five years and be renewed for a further three – should contact the council by 20 June.The search for an emerging market manager comes as Islington shifts some of its assets to sub-funds managed by the London CIV, the local pension scheme asset pool that last year appointed four managers to oversee £6bn in London borough equity mandates.Among the nine sub-funds launched at the time, however, only two are actively managed, and both are for global equity strategies.The emerging market sub-funds offered by the CIV, managed by Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM) and BlackRock, respectively, are both passively managed.LGIM is Islington’s current source of passive emerging market exposure.However, Islington has shifted some of its equity investments to a CIV-launched sub-fund and now invests in an Allianz Global Investors-managed equity sub-fund commissioned by the pool rather than directly with AGI.
The list of contenders revealed that USA Basketball is keeping the door open for several players recovering from long-term injuries. Golden State Warriors star Curry, who has hardly played this season after undergoing surgery on his left hand, has long spoken of his determination to play in the Tokyo Olympics. Curry, who is hoping to return for the Warriors next month, withdrew from the 2016 Olympics after knee and ankle problems. Loading… Read Also: NBA: Walker scores 27 as Celtics win seventh straight Curry’s Golden State team-mate Klay Thompson, who has not played at all this season after undergoing knee surgery in July 2019, is also named in the 44-man player pool. Thompson was a member of the US team which won gold in Rio four years ago. Durant meanwhile, who has yet to play a game for the Brooklyn Nets after signing for the club last July, is also named in the squad list. Durant, who is recovering from a ruptured Achilles, was a star of the US gold medal-winning teams at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 LeBron James and injured superstars Steph Curry and Kevin Durant were named on Monday in a 44-strong pool of players in contention for spots on the United States Olympic basketball team. A statement from USA Basketball named three-time Olympic champion James and Los Angeles Lakers team-mate Anthony Davis in the player group, which will eventually be whittled down to a 12-man roster. LeBron James was named in a provisional 44-strong player pool for the US basketball Olympic team on Monday “This is the first step in USA Basketball identifying the 12 players who will represent the United States as members of the 2020 US Olympic men’s basketball team in Tokyo,” said USA Basketball men’s team managing director Jerry Colangelo said in a statement. “Over the course of the remainder of the NBA season we’ll continue to monitor all of the athletes. Selecting the 12-man USA roster will obviously be an extremely challenging and difficult process, and we will again attempt to select the very best team possible,” he added. Steph Curry (L) has hardly played this season after undergoing surgery on his left hand Kevin Durant has yet to play a game for the Brooklyn Nets after signing for the club last July Promoted Content8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthTop 10 Tiniest Phones Ever Made5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksTop 10 TV Friends Who Used To Be Enemies8 Amazing Facts About Ancient EgyptCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way12 Actors Who Always Play Bad CharactersCulkin Cracks Up The Web With His Own Version Of ‘Home Alone’11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Ever Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show You14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now The US team, which will be chasing a fourth consecutive Olympic gold medal following wins in 2008, 2012 and 2016, will be coached by San Antonio Spurs boss Gregg Popovich.
THE Guyana Cricket Board (GCB), in collaboration with the Demerara Mutual Life Assurance, the National Sport Commission and the Childcare and Protection Agency launched the third Secondary Schools Cricket League.The tournament, which will feature some 150 schools across the country, began yesterday and is the premier schools tournament.Speaking during the launch yesterday, GCB Technical Development Officer and chair of the proceedings, Colin Stuart, contended that the tournament has already begun to develop some outstanding talents for the country.Gervy Harry, Administrator of the National Sports Commission said the youngsters involved in the sport must want it for themselves, and that no one can force it on them.He added, “To do that, you have to strive for excellence in whatever you do at all times. Striving for excellence is not a part-time business; every time you have to strive.”The Allied Arts Unit within the Ministry of Education representative and Acting Administrator Lorraine Baker-King reiterated that they are in support of the event.“Cricket forms part of the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) and Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) programmes and we support it.”Childcare and Protection Officer, Orette Francois, commended the board for its strict adherence to ensuring that all coaches who work with children run a mandatory course on Child Safety.Title sponsors Demerara Mutual Life Assurance Society Limited, through Executive Manager for Marketing and Sales, Clarence Perry, said they are pleased to be on board once again.He added that in these times, raw talent can no longer ‘cut it’, saying, “Those countries like Australia, England, India are so well advanced in terms of the education systems and that has a lot to do with the maturity of the cricketers when they reach to that level.”Hon. Secretary of the GBC, Anand Sanasie, said that several years ago the board decided that sport needed to have more of their players and officials educated, ensuring that the structure is built from the grassroots up.He noted that the products of the league are evident, pointing out Sachin Singh, who has been a part of the programme for the past two years, has since captained the West Indies Under-16 team that went on tour to EnglandLower Corentyne are the defending champions.
WEST Indies great and Bangladesh bowling coach Courtney Walsh has warned that the bowling conditions in Britain will make the upcoming World Cup a tough test for the South Asian side.The 10-team tournament will run from May 30 to July 14 in England and Wales.“It will be a big challenge,” Walsh told reporters in Dhaka. “There are going to be some good cricket wickets, which are batting-friendly. We have to be intelligent, and try to execute well.“We have to read the conditions and the surfaces we play. Some places the ball might swing more than the others. We have to assess when we get there.”Walsh, who played four World Cups for the West Indies between 1987 and 1999, tipped the bowlers to rely on their variations to be successful.“Most of the wickets will be docile and flat. We have to work on our variations and execution,” he said.“Everybody studies one another these days. So they know our strengths and weaknesses. Likewise, we also know theirs.”Walsh will be overseeing a Bangladesh pace bowling unit already grappling with injury problems.The Caribbean star revealed that three of his five charges – Mustafizur Rahman, Rubel Hossain and Mohammad Saifuddin – were injured.“We need to get them back into bowling, within the right frame of mind, and be sharp enough to do a bit of bowling in Ireland and be ready for the World Cup,” he said.Bangladesh, who will also open their campaign against South Africa on June 2 at the Oval, will play a tri-nation tournament in Ireland involving the hosts and West Indies in May as part of their build-up for the World Cup.
PAKISTAN legend Shahid Afridi has finally weighed in on the debate over his age, saying he was born in 1975, not 1980 as previously thought.Afridi famously made his international debut in 1996, scoring a record-breaking 37-ball century against Sri Lanka, a feat made even more remarkable by the claim at the time that he was just 16 years old.In an excerpt from his recently-released autobiography Game Changer that has been quoted widely in the subcontinental media, Afridi says officials lied about his age.However, he added further confusion by saying he was 19 at the time of his debut, even though being born in 1975 would have made him 20 or 21 in 1996.“Also, for the record, I was just nineteen, and not sixteen like they claim,” he writes.“I was born in 1975. So, yes, the authorities stated my age incorrectly.”Afridi did not reveal exactly why officials lied about his age. However, it’s worth noting he had represented Pakistan’s Under-19 side in the Caribbean just weeks before his debut (if he was born in 1975 as he claims, Afridi would have been too old to play for the Under-19s in 1996).Afridi’s revelation that he was born in 1975 makes the length of his decorated career even more impressive.It means he would have been 40 or 41 by the time he retired from international cricket in 2016, not 36 as previously believed, and he would have been 43 or 44 during this year’s Pakistan Super League.