“Everybody knew everybody,” Coblentz said. “It’s a senseless murder. Over disrespect and pride, someone’s going to lose their life over that? It just doesn’t make sense.” Police said the case began when an argument escalated into a dispute among a group of acquaintances. Polisadzhyan was treated by paramedics at scene and taken to a local hospital where he died. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! VAN NUYS – Citing a lack of evidence, prosecutors declined to file charges against two males who were arrested in connection with last month’s stabbing death of a 19-year-old man in a case police said started when one person disrespected another. Rudolf Mekhakian, 20, and a 17-year-old male were freed after being booked in connection with the slaying of Abraham Polisadzhyan, who was among a group of nine Armenian males gathered in a parking lot Nov. 5 on the southeast corner of Woodman Avenue and Vanowen Street to settle an argument, police said. The teen’s name was withheld because he is a minor, officials said. They were arrested Nov. 29, after being identified by witnesses to the murder, said Los Angeles Police Detective Mike Coblentz. Police said the incident went down when two suspects pulled up in a Lexus or Infiniti, got out of the car and then one of them stabbed Polisadzhyan before both suspects got back in the car and disappeared, Coblentz said. Neither a vehicle nor a weapon has been recovered, Coblentz said.
11 February 2013After struggling with injuries, Richard Sterne had to wait four years to add to his five previous European Tour victories, but he won his sixth in style, romping to a seven-shot victory in the Joburg Open at the Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club on Sunday.Heading into the event, which is co-sanctioned by the Sunshine Tour, it was clear that Sterne’s game was on the up. The previous week he had finished runner-up to Stephen Gallagher in the Omega Dubai Desert Classic. Before that, he tied for seventh in the Alfred Dunhill Championship.Back in South Africa, he was on song from start to finish of the Joburg Open, winning the event with a tournament record total of 27-under-par 260.It was the largest winning margin in the history of the event and, in relation to par, Sterne’s commanding victory was the second lowest winning total in the history of the European Tour.ExemptionImportantly, the win also secured him a place in the 2014 Volvo Golf Champions, as well as a European Tour exemption until the end of 2014.His last European Tour win had been in the South African Open in December 2008. Thanks to back-to-back victories then, he reached a ranking of 29th in the world. Injuries, though, played havoc with his game in 2010 and 2011, when he competed in only 10 tournaments.“I didn’t think I was going to be out for so long, but six months became a year and then almost two,” he told the European Tour.“After all the hard work and the time out with injury, I did wonder whether I was ever going to win again. At one point the pain was so bad that I even wondered if I’d ever play golf again. But now I know I can.South African influence“The only thing that kept me going was all the other South Africans. They kept winning a lot of events and I believed that if they could do it then I could.”Sterne’s first wire-to-wire victory of his career consisted of rounds of 63, 65, 68 and 64. His remarkable performance included one eagle, 26 birdies and only one dropped shot.He previously won the Joburg Open in 2008 and follows Charl Schwartzel as a two-time winner. Schwartzel placed second this time around, ending on 20-under-par 267.The world number 16 was returning to action after a six-week break, following victories by 11 shots in the Thailand Golf Championship and by 12 shots in the Alfred Dunhill Championship. Clearly the rest hadn’t hurt his game.Pushed Sterne hardTrevor Fisher junior pushed Sterne hard through the first three rounds and shared the lead heading into the last 18 holes on 19-under-par 196 after rounds of 66, 62 and 68. Unfortunately for him, he struggled in the last round, posting a 73.He began brilliantly, with an eagle three on the first hole, but three birdies could not undo the damage done by four bogeys and a double-bogey.George Coetzee has not yet won on the European Tour, but his time is surely not that far away. He ended in a share of third with Felipe Aguilar and Ricardo Santos on 19-under 268.LEADERBOARD 260 Richard Sterne (RSA) (-27) 63, 65, 68, 64267 Charl Schwartzel (RSA) (-20) 68, 65, 68, 66268 Felipe Aguilar (Chi) (-19) 67, 66, 68, 67268 George Coetzee (RSA) (-19) 67, 64, 70, 67268 Ricardo Santos (Por) (-19) 70, 65, 69, 64269 Thomas Aiken (RSA) (-18) 67, 70, 66, 66269 Trevor Fisher jnr (RSA) (-18) 66, 62, 68, 73269 Keith Horne (RSA) (-18) 67, 66, 71, 65 Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
7 July 2015The Cape Town Nu World Festival, previously known as Cape Town World Music Festival, will bring a taste of Africa to Cape Town City Hall 17 and 18 July, Nelson Mandela International Day weekend.It is the third year of the festival, and it promises people a unique experience, which will inspire, unite and educate by representing South Africa (and beyond) in a journey of musical discovery.The theme this year is “Wild & Wise”. According to event organisers Beanstalk, this interesting juxtaposition of old and new, of the knowing and naive, will bring some exciting collaborations, pairing local music legends with fresh, up-and-coming artists.Over the two days, three stages will cater to a diverse audience. There will be a seated stage for more intimate performances, a main arena for larger acts, and a late night DJ stage playing beats from all over Africa and the world.There will also be a number of TED-style talks and a yet-to-be revealed programme of workshops led by the participating artists and a few industry leaders, as well as fringe events set to take place all over the city.The talks start on Saturday, 17 June at 2pm, and the official website will carry more details. Get a taste of what will be on offer:The festival is backed by the city of Cape Town. This time around, explains Cape Town Magazine, the online entertainment and culture hub for the Mother City, “the fiesta aims to showcase far more Afrocentric acts so audiences can expect a unique journey that covers everything from roots, electronic and traditional styles to modern, plus all the tunes in between”.The headline acts include Simphiwe Dana, rapper Riky Rick, Austrian beatmaker Dunkelbunt, as well as Congolese singer and musician Kanda Bongo Man. The line- up is:Simphiwe DanaMajoziKanda Bonga Man (DRC)Dunkelbunt (Austria)Paul WaxonRiky RickBateleurMoussa Dialla Trio (Mali/Denmark)Zuko CollectiveThris & Blackfoot PhoenixNative YoungCard on SpokesMookomba (Zimbabwe)Elemotho (Namibia)FantasmaAero ManyeloVukazithatheToby2ShoesOzlem Bulut (Turkey/Austria)Spoek VS Spoko (DJ Set)Tcheka & Derek GripperTickets are available online via Webtickets and at Cape Town Nu World Festival, as well as at some Pick n Pay branches. Events kick off at 5pm on 17 July.Watch Ricky Ross’s official Boss Zonke music video to get a taste of what is to come:The term “Nu World”, Ma’or Harris, the festival director and co-owner of events management company Beanstalk, told Mail & Guardian newspaper, was used to describe reinventing as well as “to avoid trying to put a label on new styles of music, culture and entertainment”.It was first held as the Cape Town World Music Festival in 2012, and again in 2014. This year, with a new name and brand, it is the third outing.“Our offering this year will be far more diverse and Afrocentric,” Harris told Mail & Guardian. “The calibre of music will increase, the festival layout will be more accommodating with a larger, dedicated seated stage and an outdoor electronic stage.”The other events the company runs include Balkanology, Nu World Eve parties, Jozi Craft Beer Fest and the Nu World stages at Rocking the Daisies and Oppikoppi that they curate and run.SAinfo reporter
TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL: Tottenham complete signing of Michael Vormby Freddie Taylor11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham Hotspur have re-signed goalkeeper Michael Vorm on a free transfer.The 35-year-old left Spurs at the expiration of his contract in June.He first joined the North London outfit in 2014 and made 47 appearances in all competitions.Spurs decided to bring back Vorm following a long-term injury to captain Hugo Lloris.I’m back… #COYSpic.twitter.com/YBNzKQaGoJ— Michel Vorm (@Vorm_Official) October 14, 2019
Twitter/@Bogs4NYLaremy Tunsil may be lucky that this year’s draft is in Chicago, and not New York City. An overzealous former prosecutor may have hopped state lines to bring him in after a hacker posted an old video of him smoking a bong out of a gas mask to his Twitter account.New Jersey Governor and former presidential candidate Chris Christie joined WFAN’s Boomer & Carton on Friday morning to discuss the draft, and spent a lot of time expressing his bemusement about the Tunsil situation. At one point, the former New Jersey Chief Federal Law Enforcement Officer said that if he were still a prosecutor, he would have “gone in and cuffed” the Ole Miss offensive tackle. Buzzfeed’s Christopher Massie transcribed some of the more interesting parts of the appearance:“It’s unbelievable,” Christie said. “Because the bong hits aren’t enough. Give me the gas mask too. It’s incredible. I can’t take my eyes off it. It’s unbelievable.”Earlier in the interview, Christie, who opposes marijuana legalization, said, “When I was a prosecutor, I would’ve gone in and cuffed this guy,” adding, “I would’ve been all over it.”Christie also expressed sympathy towards Tunsil, saying, “Poor kid in that respect. I mean, he did it. But who’s the guy that hates him enough that they had access to the video and put it on. I mean, wow.”Here is the full interview: [Buzzfeed]
Los Angeles: Singer-actor Mandy Moore has released her first song in a decade. Titled ‘When I Wasn’t Watching’, the number is from her new album, the name of which is yet to be declared. The album is slated for release early next year. “The idea of diving back into music after so much time and personal change was really intimidating to me for a while,” a report in variety.com quoted Moore as saying. “But then I finally realised: I’m the only person who can make this move. It all has to start with me,” she added. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: PriyankaThe song has been produced by longtime collaborator Mike Viola and the video has been directed by Lauren Dukoff. The release is significant because it is her first music since her former husband Ryan Adams faced multiple accusations of sexual harassment. “I think everyone’s had the experience of feeling lost and not quite understanding how you’ve found yourself at a certain point in your life. And I think the key is not to judge yourself for that. I’m a big believer in the idea that what you’ve journeyed through is ultimately going to factor into the person you become, and how you’ll greet whatever big challenge you face next,” Moore asserted. The actor, who is looking forward to the premiere of her show ‘This Is Us’, began recording her upcoming album earlier this year. She created the album’s lyrics on her own and recorded each song live with a full band set-up. The 35-year-old actor will release another single before the end of the year.
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday said those who consider themselves supreme and indulge in the politics of falsehood will not understand Mahatma Gandhi’s sacrifices and ideals. In what appeared to be a swipe at the present BJP leadership, Sonia Gandhi told party workers and leaders at Rajghat that the Mahatma’s soul would be pained by what has been happening in India in the last few years. Sonia Gandhi also administered an oath on Gandhi’s ideals to party workers on the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. Earlier in the day, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi led a march of party workers from the Delhi Congress office at the Deendayal Upadhyaya Marg to mark the occasion. “How will those who consider themselves supreme understand the sacrifices of Mahatma Gandhi….Those doing politics of falsehood will not understand Gandhi’s philosophy of non-violence,” Sonia Gandhi said in her brief address on the occasion. Addressing the gathering in Hindi, she said no matter what others might claim, only the Congress has followed the path of Gandhi and has provided jobs, education and facilities to farmers, accomplishments which are unparalleled. “India and Gandhi are synonymous. Yet some people want RSS to be synonymous with India,” she said, adding that India has arrived at its present state due to Mahatma Gandhi.
Lucknow: Taking a swipe at the BJP, Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi on Wednesday said it should first pursue the path of truth shown by Mahatma Gandhi and then talk about him.She made the remarks before participating in a silent march organised here by the Congress on the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. “It was the order of Gandhiji to pursue the path of truth. First, the BJP should pursue the path of truth and then talk about Gandhiji,” the Congress leader said. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadThe silent march is also being viewed as a show of strength by the Congress which has been on the sidelines of state politics for a long time. About 80 Congress workers were arrested on Monday at a public meeting ahead of a march they had planned in support of the law student who has accused former Union minister Swami Chinmayanand of rape. In an informal chat with media persons just before embarking on the march, she said, “Atrocities are being committed on women and when they raise their voice to fight against them, they are being crushed. We will definitely struggle against it.” Also Read – Firms staying closed 10 days a month due to recession, govt doing nothing: Priyanka GandhiThe three-kilometre-long march, which started from Shaheed Smarak, culminated at GPO Park, where floral tributes were paid to Mahatma Gandhi. Priyanka passed through the main thoroughfares of the state capital, marching alongside party leaders and workers. In the presence of Priyanka, who was surrounded by security personnel, party workers desisted from raising slogans. There was also a clamour for selfies with Priyanka, which she smilingly obliged. Former Union minister Jitin Prasad, who was put under house arrest in Shahjahanpur on Monday to stop him from taking out a ‘nyay yatra’ in support of the law student, and others took part in the march donning white “Gandhi caps”. Priyanka Gandhi was scheduled to interact with workers and leaders at the party headquarters after the culmination of the march but it was called off at the last minute and she left for the airport directly from GPO Park. Senior party leader Akhilesh Pratap Singh said Priyanka had high fever and rushed back after completing the march.
Kolkata: A Durga Puja committee in North Kolkata has roped in a combination of Indo-Spanish artists to provide pandal-hoppers a sneak peek into the Spanish culture.The colourful Durga Puja pandal, a replica of Indo-Spanish pavilion depicting chess, has two entrance — one for common people and other for especially-abled people. There is only one exit. “World famous Spanish artist Antonyo Marest has joined hands with Indian artist Malay Das for Durga Puja festival 2019. The theme of our Puja is Chaturanga. 1500 years ago in India, the game of chess was known as Chaturanga. The theme has been suggested by both of them. Both the artists have expressed their art in a unique concept Chaturango. It will spread the message towards positivity between the people of the two countries. We are thankful to Basu Foundation for Arts for helping us to connect with Marest,” said Subhendu Chowdhury, secretary of M S G L Duer Palli (Old) Sarbajanin Durgotsav Samity. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaAntonio Martinez Estevan, professionally known as Antonyo Marest, is a Spanish painter, sculptor and designer. He was in Calcutta last month and designed the structure of the Durga Puja mandap. The Puja pandal, situated at the intersection of B K Paul Avenue and Kali Prassana Banerjee Road, will showcase similarities between the people of both the countries. “This is for the first time we have roped in an international sculptor. Spanish people love different colours. That is why the pandal is colourful. The most peculiar thing is that the idol at the pandal is made of mirror. The idol of Maa Durga will reflect different colours,” said Raja Chakraborty, member of M S G L Duer Palli (Old) Sarbajanin Durgotsav Samity.